Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Lionel Messi wins fourth consecutive Fifa Ballon d'Or award.



           Lionel Messi strengthened his claim to be considered the greatest footballer of all time by winning a record-breaking fourth consecutive Fifa Ballon d'Or award lastnight.
           The 25-year-old magician spellbounded everybody by his extra-ordinary footballing skill & clinched the honour ahead of Barcelona team-mate Andres Iniesta and Real Madrid counterpart  Cristiano Ronaldo at an awards ceremony in Zurich. Messi polled 41.60 per cent of the votes, with Ronaldo taking 23.68 per cent and Iniesta 10.91 per cent.
         The Argentina international enjoyed a remarkable 2012 even by his own high standards, most notably surpassing Gerd Muller's 40-year-old record of 85 goals in a calendar year, finishing with an incredible 91.
          Messi and former French star, UEFA president Michel Platini, had prior to Monday been the only players to win three straight Ballon d’Or awards while Dutch greats Johan Cruyff and Marco Van Basten both won the accolade on three occasions.
          Spain’s Vicente del Bosque was named coach of the year for 2012, seeing off competition from Real Madrid’s Jose Mourinho and former Barcelona coach Josep Guardiola.
           But Messi has insisted his scoring records will mean nothing if Barcelona do not go on to take the La Liga title off Real or fail to win the Champions League.
           “It is incredible to receive this prize once again and it’s impressive it makes it four in a row. I would like to share this with my Barca teammates – particularly with Andres, who is here with me,” said the ever unassuming Messi.
           “I am proud to be able to train alongside him every day. I am also thinking of my teammates in the Argentina squad,” he went on.
         “Thank you to all those who voted for me, skippers, coaches and national coaches.
         “Thank you too to my family, my friends and of course my wife and son, who is the best thing that ever happened to me,” said the 25-year-old from Rosario, who in November became a father to son Thiago.

3 comments: